International Community for National Disasters Korean Expat Community for National Disasters

Podcast

페이지 정보

본문

Coping with Cold Wave Strike in Korea

82b5baf6bc12d5464f6462d7e3d5fe61_1634624780_8136.jpg

Recorded by Sengsouriya P.

2021/19/10

Script

Anyonghaseyo yeorobun. I’m from Laos where located in a tropical savanna climate region. The average temperature is approximately 26° celsius all year round and I never confront with extremely cold weather before. That’s a reason why I come up with this issue and summary some tips that might help you during the winter season that will be coming soon. As you might be experienced last winter season in Gangwon-do where the temperature fell as low as minus 20° Celcius and minus 30° celsius in the mountainous area. That was my first winter season as well. What you may not know is that just being really cold can make you very sick. And if you getting older the more you can lose body heat faster- faster than when you were young. But if you don’t take it concern it might turn into a dangerous problem. Doctors call this a serious problem is hypothermia. So, what is Hypothermia? Hypothermia is what happens when your body temperature gets very low. For an older person, a body temperature of 35° celsius or lower can cause many health problems, such as a heart attack, kidney problems, liver damage, or worse. Being outside in the cold, or even being in a very cold house, can lead to hypothermia. Try to stay away from cold places, and pay attention to how cold it is where you are. You can take steps to lower your chance of getting hypothermia. People who are sick may have special problems keeping warm. Do not let it get too cold inside and dress warmly. Even if you keep your temperature between 15°C - 18°C, your home or apartment may not be warm enough to keep you safe. This is a special problem if you live alone because there is no one else to feel the chilliness of the house or notice if you are having symptoms of hypothermia. Here are some tips for keeping warm while you're inside: • Set your heat to at least 20–22°C. To save on heating bills, close off rooms you are not using. Place a rolled towel in front of all doors to keep out drafts. • Make sure your house isn't losing heat through windows. Keep your curtains closed. • Dress warmly on cold days even if you are staying in the house. Throw a blanket over your legs. Wear socks and slippers. • When you go to sleep, wear long underwear under your pajamas, and use extra covers. Wear a cap or hat. • Make sure you eat enough food to keep up your weight. If you don't eat well, you might have less fat under your skin. Body fat helps you to stay warm. • Drink alcohol moderately, if at all. Alcoholic drinks can make you lose body heat. • Ask family or friends to check on you during cold weather. If a power outage leaves you without heat, try to stay with a relative or friend. Are you ready for the first snow? and enjoy the winter season in Korea.

첨부파일

Total 84 cases, page 9.

검색