International Community for National Disasters Korean Expat Community for National Disasters

Podcast

페이지 정보

본문

Experiencing on yellow dust in Korea

Take care yourself in this disaster day :)

Recorded by Sengsouriya P.

2021/20/10

Script

Hi everyone, Today I would like to share my experience about yellow dust. I never heard about yellow dust before because this kind of this disaster never happened in my country. when I received an emergency alert that time, I was still confused about it and question myself what is yellow dust? After trying to google it I can recognize that it is harmful to people's health and economy. Yellow dust is originated in the deserts of Northern China and Mongolia, it is whisked into the atmosphere by strong winds then carried to the Korean Peninsula via the jet stream. The dust arrives it brings along industrial pollutants, viruses, bacteria, and even heavy metals, serious consequences for respiratory health in the long run. Over time, heavy metals and industrial pollutants also damage agricultural production and soil. I like outdoor activities including playing football, going hiking, and going cycling. I still remember that day very well. On the 8th of May in the spring season. It was my weekend and I planned to go cycling. Unfortunately, my leisure day was collapsed due to this disaster. On that day the concentration of fine dust known as PM 10 increased up to over 500 micrograms per cubic meter as a displayed warning at the hazardous level. At this level, the general public and sensitive groups are at high risk to experience strong irritations and adverse health effects that could trigger other illnesses. I recommend you follow precautions from the emergency alert. Firstly, you should frequently check an emergency alert from the community health center or relevant authorities. you also can use the application called Airvisual to check air quality on a foggy and cloudy day or you can check the air quality in real-time at www.airkorea.or.kr. Secondly, refrain from doing outdoor activities but if unavoidable to go outside you should wear a protective mask, glasses, and long sleeves shirt. Finally, if you stay at home you have to close the window properly and using an air purifier is necessary.

첨부파일

Total 84 cases, page 7.

검색