International Community for National Disasters Korean Expat Community for National Disasters

Podcast

페이지 정보

본문

Seoul's Urban Green Spaces

The past stories that I have been uploading on the website have been related to some environmental issues . I’ve wrote about yellow dust as well as climate changes that I have been experiencing in Korea. So now, I’d like to talk about what Korea is doing to help take care of the environment, particularly in Seoul. This is going to be about urban green spaces.

Recorded by Dana Picazo

2021 November 21

Script

Hello everyone! The past stories that I have been uploading on the website have been related to some environmental issues . I’ve wrote about yellow dust as well as climate changes that I have been experiencing in Korea. So now, I’d like to talk about what Korea is doing to help take care of the environment, particularly in Seoul. This is going to be about urban green spaces. Seoul is such a bustling and busy city and with that, urban development is also on the rise. This may be good for the city, but it also certainly causes negative effects on the environment. One of the many ways to keep the balance in nature is to preserve and build green spaces especially in urban areas. Green spaces are said to contribute to better air quality and cooler temperatures. They also serve as pockets of nature that is good for the ecosystem. Not only that, having more nature around is beneficial for our well-being. It can reduce stress levels and the provide spaces for relaxation. An article from 2019 mentions that Seoul has the lowest availability of urban green space per capita in Korea. Therefore, the metropolitan government continues to create plans and make efforts to improve this. One of the most popular green rehabilitation projects in Seoul was the restoration of the Cheonggyecheon. In the late 90s, when there was rise in industrialization and modernization in Korea, Cheonggyecheon, a 10-kilometer stream in downtown Seoul was covered with concrete to accommodate a major highway. But in 2005, the government spearheaded a major restoration project of Cheonggyechon. Now, we can again enjoy the beauty offered by this pocket of nature in the middle of the city. In the last few years at least 200 new green spaces in downtown Seoul were created. These range from green passageways, parks, camping sites and more. Some of which include the Seoullo 7017, Cultural Depot Park, and the Gyeongchun Line Forest. Have you been to these places? Apart from this, Seoul continues to maintain its the major forests and parks like Seoul Forest, Olympic Park, Hanggang Park. These places have also been very helpful in the pandemic. The outdoor areas have been conducive for exercise, rest and relaxation and has allowed many people to maintain their well-being in the middle of the pandemic. What are the urban green spaces that you often go to? Have good week, everyone! Dana More links: http://english.seoul.go.kr/seoul-city-open-three-urban-parks-expanded-green-space/

첨부파일

Total 84 cases, page 6.

검색