International Community for National Disasters Korean Expat Community for National Disasters

Podcast

페이지 정보

본문

The Little Mermaid and Balto: Love and Friendship Amid Disasters

Hi! Hello there. It is very cold already here in Chuncheon. Last night, I listened to a podcast about the true story of the little mermaid—the one, you know, that we used to read in books or watch as a Disney film when we were younger. But Disney, of course, made its ending a happy one. Perhaps, if you don’t already know, you would be surprised by the sadness of the true story of the little mermaid. In that story she went through a lot of pain just to meet the prince whom she loved only to die and disappear as a bubble. She went through such great length because of love.

And this reminds me of a story about how a dog named “Balto”, leading a dogsled and a man carrying a medicine which saved lives amid a harsh winter. As I can see a statue of the little mermaid with a happy face in the Dormitory 8 of Hallym University, in the Central Park of New York, nowadays, you can see a statue of or for Balto with a description that reads as follows:

Dedicated to the indomitable spirit of the sled dogs that relayed antitoxin six hundred miles over rough ice, across treacherous water, through Artic blizzards from Nenana to the relief of stricken Nome in the Winter of 1925. Endurance. Fidelity. Intelligence. +

And they say that dogs are man’s bestfriend.

Friendship and love.

I think, with these stories, one with a tragic but still hopeful ending, and one with a happy and inspiring one, we can say that these are what makes us go beyond ourselves, amid hardship, amid dangers, to reach others.

+Reference: Wikipedia

Recorded by Jess Deytiquez

2022/10/26

Script

Hi! Hello there. It is very cold already here in Chuncheon. Last night, I listened to a podcast about the true story of the little mermaid—the one, you know, that we used to read in books or watch as a Disney film when we were younger. But Disney, of course, made its ending a happy one. Perhaps, if you don’t already know, you would be surprised by the sadness of the true story of the little mermaid. In that story she went through a lot of pain just to meet the prince whom she loved only to die and disappear as a bubble. She went through such great length because of love. And this reminds me of a story about how a dog named “Balto”, leading a dogsled and a man carrying a medicine which saved lives amid a harsh winter. As I can see a statue of the little mermaid with a happy face in the Dormitory 8 of Hallym University, in the Central Park of New York, nowadays, you can see a statue of or for Balto with a description that reads as follows: Dedicated to the indomitable spirit of the sled dogs that relayed antitoxin six hundred miles over rough ice, across treacherous water, through Artic blizzards from Nenana to the relief of stricken Nome in the Winter of 1925. Endurance. Fidelity. Intelligence. + And they say that dogs are man’s bestfriend. Friendship and love. I think, with these stories, one with a tragic but still hopeful ending, and one with a happy and inspiring one, we can say that these are what makes us go beyond ourselves, amid hardship, amid dangers, to reach others. +Reference: Wikipedia

첨부파일

Total 84 cases, page 2.

검색