International Community for National Disasters Korean Expat Community for National Disasters

Podcast

페이지 정보

본문

The Bright Cold

Adopting to new weather

Recorded by Brenda Nakanwagi

2021/11/09

Script

In the tropics, there are essentially two seasons throughout the year: the rainy and sunny seasons. In my country the average annual temperature ranges from 20 to 27 degrees. I arrived in Korea in August as summer season was coming to an end and autumn was springing forth. The temperatures were so conducive, almost like home. When suddenly, a news announcement about an anticipated drop in temperatures changed the whole story. The temperatures were predicted to drop to 1 degree in a single day and continue to be low beginning mid-October. This sudden and early drop in temperatures had last happened 67 years ago. This came as a surprise to me, so I was prompted to stay indoors during this time. I always conclude my Sunday with an evening service so I planned to go for service as usual on an assumption that the afternoon and evening would be warm as the news had put more emphasis on the previous day and Sunday morning. When I looked through the window before heading out, the sun was brightly shining which was an assurance that evening temperatures had probably gone back to normal. I wore just as usual and headed to the church for service. No sooner had I hit the road than the cold breeze started torturing my skin-I basically started freezing. An idea crossed my mind that if I walked faster, I perhaps, would soon warm up but all this was in vain. By the time I reached church, I practically couldn’t feel my hands and toes to the extent that when I placed my hands in the temperature reader, my temperature could not be sensed. I rested there for a while and regained my composure and thanks be to God the church was warm. After service a friend assisted me with a very warm jacket; I could not wait to get back home. I have since learned to check the weather forecast of the day before heading out. I also learnt the hilarious fact that a bright sunshine does not guarantee warmth outside in Korea. It’s cold already and it’s not even winter season yet. My advice to my fellow foreigners especially those from the tropics; is to always check the weather forecast of the day before planning any activities. This will help you to avoid uncomfortable surprises. You could install Weather Apps such as WonGi Chae, Google Weather among others for area updates.

첨부파일

Total 84 cases, page 6.

검색