International Community for National Disasters Korean Expat Community for National Disasters

Podcast

페이지 정보

본문

Summer in Korea

Have you ever experienced summer here in Korea? To those who have, I’m pretty sure they will describe it as scorching hot and extremely humid. Summers in Korea are from June to August, and personally, I think that the weather is quite uncomfortable!

According to the Korea Meteorological Administration, last year was the second hottest year for South Korea on record! Compared to the figures from 1990 to 2020, the overall average temperature in South Korea was 0.8 degrees higher. To add, the hottest day in Seoul was recorded at 36.5 C which was on July 23 last year. Extreme weather conditions, like this - rising temperatures - are primarily influenced by climate change.

For this year, I’m sure that we will be experiencing a lot of hot days as well. For us who are comfortable in our dorms, these days will be tolerable. For those needing assistance, the Seoul government has planned to help them prepare for the impact of the heat wave. According to the news, the government will be providing 16,000 households with electric fans, 1,000 households will receive nearly $80 assistance for air-conditioning, and outdoor working hours will also be reduced for street cleaners. Lastly, to help reduce energy consumption, an eco-friendly geothermal energy system in public buildings will also be introduced.

Despite the heat, I believe that Korea is still a good place to be during summers! So, here are just a few practical tips on how to keep cool during this season: 1) Have Bingsu whenever you want. Bingsu is a popular Korean shaved ice dessert with seasonal fruits and red beans! A must-have for warm days! 2) Try to go out at night instead, for cooler temperatures. With no more curfews due to Covid, you can be able to explore more at night. 3) Make sure you get yourself a portable mini electric fan. Trust me, it’ll save your day! They sell these practically everywhere. 4) Finally, you shouldn’t miss heading to the beach with your friends! There are actually other places to go to in Korea for good beaches, not just in Busan or Jeju.

That’s it for this podcast! Have a great summer, everyone!

Recorded by Dana

June 10, 2022

Script

Have you ever experienced summer here in Korea? To those who have, I’m pretty sure they will describe it as scorching hot and extremely humid. Summers in Korea are from June to August, and personally, I think that the weather is quite uncomfortable! According to the Korea Meteorological Administration, last year was the second hottest year for South Korea on record! Compared to the figures from 1990 to 2020, the overall average temperature in South Korea was 0.8 degrees higher. To add, the hottest day in Seoul was recorded at 36.5 C which was on July 23 last year. Extreme weather conditions, like this - rising temperatures - are primarily influenced by climate change. For this year, I’m sure that we will be experiencing a lot of hot days as well. For us who are comfortable in our dorms, these days will be tolerable. For those needing assistance, the Seoul government has planned to help them prepare for the impact of the heat wave. According to the news, the government will be providing 16,000 households with electric fans, 1,000 households will receive nearly $80 assistance for air-conditioning, and outdoor working hours will also be reduced for street cleaners. Lastly, to help reduce energy consumption, an eco-friendly geothermal energy system in public buildings will also be introduced. Despite the heat, I believe that Korea is still a good place to be during summers! So, here are just a few practical tips on how to keep cool during this season: 1) Have Bingsu whenever you want. Bingsu is a popular Korean shaved ice dessert with seasonal fruits and red beans! A must-have for warm days! 2) Try to go out at night instead, for cooler temperatures. With no more curfews due to Covid, you can be able to explore more at night. 3) Make sure you get yourself a portable mini electric fan. Trust me, it’ll save your day! They sell these practically everywhere. 4) Finally, you shouldn’t miss heading to the beach with your friends! There are actually other places to go to in Korea for good beaches, not just in Busan or Jeju. That’s it for this podcast! Have a great summer, everyone!

첨부파일

Total 84 cases, page 3.

검색