International Community for National Disasters Korean Expat Community for National Disasters

Your StoriesFind the button on the right corner to write your stories

Will Traveling Be the Same Again?

페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자 claudia Tumba
댓글 0 Comments 조회 672 Views 작성일 21-11-29 13:57

본문

Pre-Covid 

Before the pandemic, I loved the idea of being a foreigner in Korea. My attachment to the place was limited because I could come and go as I pleased. It was an adventure for the longest time (my gap year turned gap life) until it wasn’t.

During Covid 

Since coming to Korea in 2014, I had never experienced any restrictions to traveling other than money (that was a significant restriction, actually). However, then Covid hit us, and I now realized that I was no longer that privileged. I was forced to stay in one place for a year without any plans of leaving. I don’t know about you, but leaving Korea (occasionally) helps me appreciate the country and feel recharged. After a trip, I’m usually able to get back into the swing of things much more easily.

Things became harder to bear when my grandmother passed away, and I couldn’t just drop everything and go to comfort my mom. I wasn’t vaccinated, and I didn’t know when foreigners would get the opportunity to be vaccinated. That was so frustrating. I tried to see if I could get on the waiting list and potentially get vaccinated to travel still. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out. I felt disappointed with the system because it sometimes feels like foreigners are an afterthought. Thankfully, I could travel and see my mom, although I had to take three weeks off one job and agree to teach online for another job during my time abroad and the quarantine.

Inconsistent Rules & Regulations 

It’s hard to keep up with everyone’s rules and regulations. I had prepared all the documents in my folder (there are so many), but when I got to customs, I couldn’t enter the country because England was on the red list. For a split second, I thought to myself, “I did everything and now I have to go back to Korea? You have got to be kidding me.” Fortunately, I was exempt from the list because I was coming from Korea.

Inconsistent Mask Policies

Another thing that is so inconsistent is mask-wearing. In Korea, I don’t leave home without it; however, when I got to Belgium, I was conflicted because some people sometimes had them in some places. My cousin was getting married, and to go into the wedding hall, everyone was required to wear a mask up the stairs but could take it off in the hall. Some stores required masks, and others didn’t. I just thought the whole thing was ridiculous. I wish all countries would decide on one direction! Is that too much to ask?

Conclusion 

All of this has me missing the days when you could just get on a plane with no masks and no forms and just go to your destination and enjoy your trip. I don’t know what the future holds for us, but I hope we’ll see the old travel days again.

댓글목록

There are no registered comments.